Healthy Mac & "Cheese"
- Time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 3
- Serving Size: 6.0 ounces
- Stage: Post-Recovery
- Whole-wheat pasta, uncooked - 75 grams or 2.7 oz (can replace with chickpea pasta if intolerant to wheat pasta)
- Cashews, raw and unsalted - 85 grams or 3 oz
- Nutritional yeast - 4 tbsp (15 grams)(for our favorite brand click here)
- Lemon, juice only - 1/2 medium (24 grams)
- Sea salt - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Onion powder - 1/4 tsp
- Basil, dried leaves - 1/8 tsp
- Paprika, ground - 1/8 tsp
- Water - 5 tbsp (75 grams)
- Peas, frozen - 1 cup (134 grams)
- Cook pasta according to instructions on the package. Do not use any oil or salt to cook it. Drain and set aside when done.
- Add the cashews to a bowl and cover with hot water. Let soak for 10 minutes then drain the water.
- To a food processor or blender, add the soaked cashews and all remaining ingredients except the peas. Blend until creamy.
- Warm up the peas by either placing them for 1-2 minutes in the microwave or steaming them.
- Mix the cooked pasta with the "cheese" sauce and peas. Mix gently, serve, and enjoy!
*Note: Divide equally by the listed number of servings. Stays fresh in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
NUTRITION FACTS per serving:
- Calories 315
- Protein 14 grams
- Carbs 36 grams
- Fat 14 grams
- Fiber 6 grams
- Sugar 5 grams
- Iron 19% DV
- Calcium 3% DV
- Sodium 19% DV
DV = Daily Value, Based on diet for healthy adults
Nutritionist notes: Get all the yumminess from a mac & cheese but without the cheese! Nutritional yeast can help give recipes a cheesy flavor. It is packed with lots of protein, vitamins and minerals, plus, helps us avoid the saturated fats and cholesterol that is found in cheese.
Tags: dairy-free, soy-free, high-protein, vegan, vegetarian, plant-based, gastric sleeve, vsg, bariatric, recipe
*The picture is meant for illustrative purposes and may sometimes not be representative of the serving size. For a precise serving size please follow the list of ingredients carefully, using grams as the most exact measurement.